[webkit-dev] choosing a unit test framework

David Levin levin at chromium.org
Tue Apr 19 14:53:48 PDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> Can we see examples of tests that use TestWebKitAPI / gtest?  I think it'll
> be helpful for people who don't know how the said two testing frameworks
> work.
>
> Ideally, we compare the same test written in TestWebKitAPI and gtest to
> decide which framework is better.

Here's a test using TestWebKitAPI

#include "Test.h"

#include <JavaScriptCore/Vector.h>

TEST(WTF, VectorBasic)
{
    Vector<int> intVector;
    TEST_ASSERT(intVector.isEmpty());
    TEST_ASSERT(intVector.size() == 0);
    TEST_ASSERT(intVector.capacity() == 0);
}

Here's the same test written using gtest:

#include "gtest.h"

#include <JavaScriptCore/Vector.h>

TEST(WTF, VectorBasic)
{
    Vector<int> intVector;
    ASSERT_TRUE(intVector.isEmpty());
    ASSERT_EQ(0, intVector.size());
    ASSERT_EQ(0, intVector.capacity());
}

With respect to writing a simple test, they both make it easy to write one,
so I don't think this is the deciding factor.

Dave