[webkit-dev] Rationale for PlatformRefPtr?

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Thu Sep 30 15:20:21 PDT 2010

What is the core idea behind PlatformRefPtr? There is a lot of ambiguity about what the “platform” is. I’m not sure we should have a single RefPtr template that tries to guess what the platform is and does that style of reference counting.

For example, for Core Foundation and Cocoa we made RetainPtr. For JavaScript we made JSRetainPtr. For GTK I think we should have GTKRefPtr.

Is there really code where the abstraction of having a single shared PlatformRefPtr is useful? Could someone show me an example of this working?

    -- Darin