[webkit-dev] Should we recommend explicit constructors as part of WebKit style?

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Tue Sep 28 23:26:53 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM, David Levin <levin at google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:
>> We're there some recent mishaps with implicit constructors that motivate
>> this thread?
>
> I've noticed Adam Barth putting comments in reviews about it (and
> check-webkit-style could do it automatically for him). I tend to think it is
> a good thing (and have been bitten in the past by not doing it), but I don't
> usually notice it in reviews.

I've been recently sensitized to this issue because we had a
non-explicit one-argument constructor in the HTML5 parser that was
eating performance (due to ref churn).  Luckily it was bad enough that
it showed up on profiles.  If we were less diligent about
understanding where all the perf was going, we could have easily
missed it.

Adam