[webkit-dev] X-Purpose on prefetching requests

Gavin Peters (蓋文彼德斯) gavinp at chromium.org
Tue Sep 28 09:43:59 PDT 2010

Forgive the second follow up, I want to just clarify something.  See below.

On 28 September 2010 11:58, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> I've presented some concerns about the effect of this on enterprise network monitors.

I've thought about this some more, and and I think I don't get this
actually.  Could you clarify for me?

What effect does this header have on network monitoring software,
distinct from prefetching itself?  If we lack the request header, then
network monitoring software can't attribute browsing action to users
at all; any request might be a prefetch.  In the presence of this
header, the network monitoring software can determine which requests
began as prefetches, and, depending on the nature of the response, it
may or may not be able to determine if a later user initiated
navigation to that resource occured.

Doesn't this header actually help network monitoring software?

- Gavin