[webkit-dev] XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute

James Robinson jamesr at google.com
Mon Sep 27 18:40:55 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:
>
> Webkit's XHR currently does not keep two copies of the data that I can see.
> I think we should avoid that.
>

> We could keep the raw data around, which hopefully is directly usable as an
> ArrayBuffer backing store, and only translate it to text format when/if the
> client requests responseText.

It would be unfortunate to have to keep the raw data around after the page
access .responseText, given that the overwhelming majority of pages will
touch .responseText and nothing else.  I found when improving the V8 XHR
implementation that the memory footprint of .responseText being held off of
the XHR object itself was often significant so I would be very reluctant to
grow it by an addition 50-100% (depending on encoding) in the common case.

- James