[webkit-dev] Review tool changes

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Sep 20 11:36:55 PDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Darin Fisher wrote:
>
>> How about this?
>>
>> If any annotations were made to the patch, then "the button" gets named Preview.  Else, the button is named "Publish" and when clicked performs its work in one shot.
>>
>> Was there a strong outcry for removing the preview step?  I only found it bothersome when I wanted to issue a quick r=me on a patch that didn't require any additional changes.
>
> Good idea. Here’s another idea:
>
> The button starts out named Preview and works with a preview.
>
> If the review or commit-queue flag is altered then the button is changed to “Publish” and works without a preview.
>
> Thus if I like the preview work flow, I don’t set those flags until I get to the preview page. If I like the faster work flow, I can set a flag and then push Publish.
>
> One type of person who is not served by my proposal is someone who wants to add comments only and not set a flag but wants the faster work flow.

Changing the button based on seemingly unrelated flag settings does not strike me as clear UI design.

If people really want to be able to review a patch without the extra preview step, then I think two buttons would be preferable to a solution where the button changes based on something you did while reviewing. But I also think the always-preview workflow is entirely reasonable.

Regards,
Maciej