[webkit-dev] Review tool changes

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Sep 16 19:46:54 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> 2) It’s kind of crazy that the review tool’s URL is
>> "...&action=prettypatch". It was nice of you to leave the old review tool
>> unchanged, at least in part to placate me, but you’re squatting on another
>> feature’s territory! I think we want a plain old formatted diff for other
>> purposes. We need to get your tool out of there!
>>

> What's crazy about this? What are the other uses of the plain formatted
> diff that aren't met by this? I agree with the new tool replacing the old
> one. I just don't see the benefits of keeping both the new review tool and
> the formatted diff page.
>
> Sometimes you just want a formatted view of the patch. To give one example,
> Cmd+A Cmd+V does not do the right thing on this page for someone who just
> wants the patch.

Yeah I often use that to get a part of patch that I posted on bugzilla.
 e.g. I post some work in progress in bugzilla but decide to   change my
approach.  But I can still make a use of some changes in my original patch,
so I just copy & paste from pretty diff and then remove line numbers on
TextMate and paste it on XCode.  (Let me know if there's a better way of
doing this sort of stuff).

I do really like the layout of the new page. Seems like it will be really
> good for reviews. (Maybe the "Publish" button should be labeled "Preview" to
> reduce needless nervousness.)

I second that.

- Ryosuke