[webkit-dev] Blob scheme implementation

David Levin levin at chromium.org
Tue Sep 14 19:09:34 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2010, at 5:56 PM, David Levin wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> What do you think of the idea of having a re-useable BlobCore module
>> that all the ports can share?
>>

> I don't think this is a good idea. This "re-usable module" would only be
> used by the Safari WebKit port. As I understand it, Chromium wouldn't be
> able to re-use it due to not re-using WebKit types in general. With only one
> port using it, the module seems like it would not be able to have a good
> design.
>
> What about Gtk, Qt, Wx, Efl...?  Where possible these days we seem to
> implement a single impl in webcore that is used by everyone

Indeed, it is a worthy goal. In fact, the current implementation does that,
but there were some concerns about how it was accomplished. So Adam's
proposal is to implement a re-usable module which is wired up by each
individual port down in the port's specific implementation by each
platform's maintainers.

I was simply remarking that it doesn't seem good to start out with a
generalization that only one port is using. (In the past when I've done
generalizations of this sort, it tends to be too generic and a lot more
complicated/complex than necessary.)

Instead if the code were just done for WebKit OSX, when a second port starts
to do something, it could break out the code that is generic because that
would result in a design that is done at the right level.

dave