[webkit-dev] Blob scheme implementation

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Tue Sep 14 18:02:01 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM, David Levin <levin at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
>> What do you think of the idea of having a re-useable BlobCore module
>> that all the ports can share?
>
> I don't think this is a good idea. This "re-usable module" would only be
> used by the Safari WebKit port. As I understand it, Chromium wouldn't be
> able to re-use it due to not re-using WebKit types in general. With only one
> port using it, the module seems like it would not be able to have a good
> design.
>
> So if there is a change, it seems better to just write it for the Safari
> WebKit port and as other ports want to implement it, if they find
> commonality, it would be in their best interest to refractor the existing
> code for better re-use.

Would Chromium be able to re-use the code if it were part of WebCore?
I guess I don't understand what's different about those two cases.

Another question, does this design allow blob URLs to be used by the
<video> element?  My understanding is that <video> bypasses
ResourceHandle because ResourceHandle isn't smart enough to handle
range requests (or something like that).

Adam