[webkit-dev] Why is ResourceHandle.cpp in WebKit/chromium/src

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Sat Sep 11 21:42:36 PDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> That makes a certain amount of sense.  It seems like we have three
> ways for WebCore to talk to Webkit/foo:
>
> 1) Client interfaces
> 2) PlatformBridge
> 3) Header-in-WebCore, implementation-in-WebKit/foo
>
> Is there some systematic way of determining which way we should use in
> a given circumstance?

Good question.

Historically, we started off using #2 exclusively, except for
ResourceHandle.  There was probably not a good reason for ResourceHandle
being different at the time.

PlatformBridge (previously named ChromiumBridge) was invented to help solve
the very problem that led you here.  I wanted us to have all WebCore symbols
(except for the ChromiumBridge symbols) defined in WebCore.  This way if you
found something implemented in terms of ChromiumBridge functions, you would
know to follow the trail to the WebKit layer's ChromiumBridge
implementation.  ChromiumBridge was to be the enumeration of the WebCore
symbols left undefined by WebCore.

One issue with ChromiumBridge is that people are forced to replicate
functions on ChromiumBridge that correspond to other WebCore/platform class
methods (e.g., see PlatformScreenChromium.cpp).  This is unfortunate and
tedious for people.  The ResourceHandle model was less work to implement and
less work to maintain, so that model became popular.  See
WebKit/chromium/src/GraphicsContext3D.cpp for example!

>  If we like pattern (3), maybe we should replace
> PlatformBridge with (3)?

Yes, perhaps we should do that.  In concert with that, it would be good to
create a subdirectory in WebKit/chromium/src for these WebCore class
implementations.

I'm concerned that the PlatformStrategies approach adds too much maintenance
overhead given the number of interfaces we'd need to add to it.

I like low cost and easy to maintain solutions that are intuitive for
developers.  I think solution #3 as currently implemented suffers from not
being intuitive.  If we can fix that, then we should be good.

-Darin