[webkit-dev] attached()

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Thu Sep 9 10:17:58 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 1:46 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2010, at 1:29 AM, Eric Seidel wrote:
>>>
>>> Presumably they should mark their parents as "child needs style recalc", not needing recalc themselves.
>>
>> Turns out they also have to mark themselves as needing recalc.  I
>> tried only marking the parents in this latest patch and failed. :)
>> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/dom/Node.cpp#L759
>
> Then I somewhat suspect the patch may be buggy buggy and may cause performance regressions. In cases where you insert elements into an attached tree. It very much seems like this would cause unnecessary style recalcs.

I'm not sure what you mean.  You mean that the change in my patch to
run the lazyAttach logic from insertedIntoDocument may cause
additional style recalcs?  The new element needs style calculated
regardless.  Marking an element with childNeedsStyleRecalc doesn't
recalculate the style for that object to my knowledge.