[webkit-dev] WebKit2 SharedSecondaryProcess model

kb at inf.u-szeged.hu kb at inf.u-szeged.hu
Sat Sep 4 05:53:20 PDT 2010

> Doesnt this model have the drawback of slowing down the response when
> servicing multiple clients and even bringing down the system with a faulty
> content which is the major plus in other models. Given this, the slightly
> extra memory in other models is a good tradeoff IMO (even embedded devices
> have large memory these days).

Yes, it could decrease responsiveness. We would sacrifice performance for
memory with this model. It would be useful mostly for flyweight
applications and widgets that do not need very high responsiveness and has
smaller workload for the web engine then starting and initializing a web
process.
It is also true that if the singleton instance of the web process crashes
then all the client processes became broken. However it would be possible
to running plugins in separate processes. It is important to note that
this model can leave together with the others. Applications could chose
the model they want to use.