[webkit-dev] Blob changes to SecurityOrigin.cpp

Jian Li jianli at chromium.org
Fri Sep 3 15:20:45 PDT 2010

Some parts of changes are due to the File API work I have worked on.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> I was looking at SecurityOrigin.cpp today and I saw a bunch of code
> relating to Blob URLs.  I don't really understand why this code is
> correct.  Would someone be willing to explain it to me?
>
> Some specific questions:
>
> 1) Why do blob URLs get exception from the unique origin check?  How
> does that interact with the HTML5 sandboxing model?

The origin of blob URL is said to be the origin of the page under which the
blob URL is created. It is encoded as part of the blob URL:
blob:encoded_origin/id. We're not ignoring any security origin checks.
Instead, we need to pull the encoded origin out of the blob URL and use it
as the base for the origin check.

The reason that we skip the unique origin check here is to allow a local
running worker script to be able to access a blob URL. Do we want to
disallow this case? If there is a security reason for doing this, I can go
ahead to revert this part of change.

> 2) Why does SecurityOrigin::canLoad take a document as an argument?
> What are the semantics of this parameter?  In particular, why does a
> SecurityOrigin::canLoad ignore |this| when called with a document
> argument on a blob URL?  That seems like a very bad idea.

SecurityOrigin::canLoad is a static method. Does it have |this| to use?