[webkit-dev] W3C Proposal: User Interface Independence for Accessible Rich Internet Applications

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Fri Sep 3 13:44:21 PDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM, James Craig <jcraig at apple.com> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
>> Sorry for not reading the document in detail, but are these events
>> fired synchronously or asynchronously?
>
> Since it's all client-side communication between the web app and local user agent, I don't have a preference. Chris may. Do you?

In general, synchronous events are bad from an architectural point of
view.  They result in large, complex callstacks, which expose crashes
and security vulnerabilities.  In the long term, they also impose
contraints on how tightly coupled different components need to be.  If
two components need to communicate synchronously, that limits our
future ability to modularize the platform and to exploit parallelism.

Adam