[webkit-dev] W3C Proposal: User Interface Independence for Accessible Rich Internet Applications

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Fri Sep 3 13:44:20 PDT 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 5:25 AM, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> Certainly an ability to zoom text is well known, but a text to
> speech facility or re-rendering from web author's original
> intent ( text to audio conversion) could be of general interest.
>
> [ I guess this also motivates another general rant I have on
> structured "data documents" versus display formats like PDF which
> may be larger while being less adaptable due to loss of information
> ( removing text to send bitmapped characters for example, former could
> reasonably by converted to audio with a "reader" technology but not the latter).]

Did you see the TBD Speech Interface at the end of the document? We knew speech would have a lot of potential in the AT and mainstream market, but we focused on AT for vision impairments (screenreader and magnifier interfaces) for the initial proposal.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2010Aug/att-0079/UserInterfaceIndependence.html#identification
4. Assistive Technology Identification and Notification

…
Interface Speech

The speech attribute of the Accessibility interface must return an instance of the Speech interface:

interface Speech {
  // TBD, placeholder for speech-controlled user agents or assistive technology
  // may need speech.synthesis and speech.recognition; each could have name/version/engine, etc.
  // potential method: speech.synthesis.speak() to trigger TTS from web app
  // potential method: speech.recognition.updateDictionary() to capture correct pronunciation of uncommon or app-specific words
};