[webkit-dev] W3C Proposal: User Interface Independence for Accessible Rich Internet Applications

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Fri Sep 3 11:29:58 PDT 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 9:35 AM, Tony Chang wrote:

> I'm curious what elements the UIRequestEvents apply to.  Does it fire at the document level or does it fire for specific elements like textareas?

Good question. I'd say probably document.activeElement if applicable, or otherwise document.bodyElement.

For example, Mobile Safari usually doesn't have an activeElement (unless a form field is focused), but Safari with VoiceOver running always has a non-null activeElement. The event would bubble from there, and eventually fire on the body unless bubbling was stopped by a listener assigned lower in the DOM tree. I assume most web apps would want to just register a delegate listener on the body.