[webkit-dev] Color Management

Igor Trindade Oliveira itrindade.oliveira at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 09:52:07 PDT 2010

2010/9/1 Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org>:

> 01.09.2010, в 08:31, Igor Trindade Oliveira написал(а):
>
>> a) use an external dependency(littlecms for example);
>>
>> b) write from scratch all the ICC Profile specification;
>>
>> What do you guys think what the best approach?
>

> I think that the first question to answer is why a CMS implementation is needed in WebKit at all. It's normally the job of a drawing library to perform the conversion behind the scenes.
>
> For example, one can specify a color space when drawing with CoreGraphics (as used by Mac and Windows Safari). If some platforms don't have such support, deciding what to do with colors should be left to platform-specific code in WebKit anyway.
>
> This is what already happens with images that have color profiles embedded, for example.
>
> - WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov

Hi,

in Qt and Cairo Graphics side does not exist internally any color
management system normally the application that needs it uses a
external dependency like littlecms, this approach is used by Krita[1]
for example. So if the graphics api does not have any support to color
management the fallback could be done to WebKit CMS.

Other use case could be used by icc support in css3. In the last
draft, css3 drops color-profile property due to a lack of
implementation [2][3].

[1] www.koffice.org/krita/
[2] http://oyranos-cms.blogspot.com/2010/06/css3-and-icc-colour-profiles.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#dropped