[webkit-dev] Pixel test experiment

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Tue Oct 12 15:12:18 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:43 PM, James Robinson <jamesr at google.com> wrote:

> To add a concrete data point, http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/69517 caused
> a number of SVG tests to fail.  It required 14 text rebaselines for Mac and
> a further two more for Leopard (done by Adam Barth).  In order to pass the
> pixel tests in Chromium, it required 1506 new pixel baselines (checked in by
> the very brave Albert Wong, http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/69543).  None
> of the rebaselining was done by the patch authors and in general I would not
> expect a patch author that didn't work in Chromium to be expected to update
> Chromium-specific baselines.  I'm a little skeptical of the claim that all
> SVG changes are run through the pixel tests given that to date none of the
> affected platform/mac SVG pixel baselines have been updated.  This sort of
> mass-rebaselining is required fairly regularly for minor changes in SVG and
> in other parts of the codebase.
>
> I'd really like for the bots to run the pixel tests on every run,
> preferably with 0 tolerance.  We catch a lot of regressions by running these
> tests on the Chromium bots that would probably otherwise go unnoticed.
>  However there is a large maintenance cost associated with this coverage.
>  We normally have two engineers (one in PST, one elsewhere in the world) who
> watch the Chromium bots to triage, suppress, and rebaseline tests as churn
> is introduced.

This isn't to say that it's 2 full time people worth of work to keep them up
to date though.

Background: Pixel tests and Chromium tests (i.e. tests that touch the full
Chromium stack, performance tests, valgrind, etc) both rely on code in
Chromium's SVN repo which is why we don't have them on build.webkit.org.
 One of the major jobs of the "WebKit gardener" (which James mentioned) is
triaging these failures and fixing them, filing upstream bugs, backing out
the changes (when they are true regressions and the author is not around and
cannot be easily fixed), and/or rebaslining when appropriate.  Another major
job (and part of why we try to have near 24 hour coverage) is keeping the
build from breaking so that our bots don't go blind.  So the actual act of
rebaslining is only a small component of their job.