[webkit-dev] Add SelectionChange event for content editable regions

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Mon Oct 11 11:34:25 PDT 2010

It seems that if our aim is to be compatible with the IE event, we should make our implementation as close to the IE one as possible. I’m not sure that firing the same event, but with a different target, will be good for compatibility. Is there some chance this could lead to a webpage that works in IE but fails in our engine, that would have worked fine if we used a different event name?

I think that firing the same select event for editable areas in the document as for input and textarea elements might be a mistake, because the functions for querying and working with the selection are not uniform for those elements. Inside the engine we treat these much the same, but in the DOM API they are quite different.

    -- Darin