[webkit-dev] Unapplying execCommand

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sat Oct 9 16:03:41 PDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> 09.10.2010, в 15:07, Ryosuke Niwa написал(а):
>
> > IMHO, the current behavior of Safari is very confusing to developers.
>  Can we add a new editor command (e.g. UndoUntilLastUserInitiatedAction) to
> support the current behavior of undo  and change the DOM initiated undo's
> behavior to match that of other browsers?
>
> Another option would be to close the undo group with each command executed
> with execCommand.

Please correct me if you misunderstood your solution but doesn't that change
the behavior of Safari if website executed multiple execCommand's in a
single user initiated action?  Suppose we had the following senario:

1. User clicks a button on website
1a. website runs execCommand A
1b. website runs execCommand B
2. User undo step 1.

In the current implementation, we undo both A and B in step 2 but if we made
the change you proposed, we'd only undo B.  Of course, this new behavior
might be desirable given that all other browsers seem to behave this way.
 Nonetheless, I'm a little concerned that some users might get confused by
the change.

- Ryosuke