[webkit-dev] Supporting css ime-mode property

Tony Chang tony at chromium.org
Tue Oct 5 10:12:36 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> So far, the only accurate use case that I've seen was developing a UI for a
> back-end that doesn't support non-ASCII characters in some fields. I don't
> think we should extend the Web platform just to support apps that aren't
> i18n-aware. And anyway, you can always paste into any field, so css-mode
> doesn't protect you from getting non-ASCII characters in these fields.

This seems to be the primary reason for the ime-mode property.  It's common
in forms on Japanese web sites to require that the input is formatted a
certain way.  For example, a site may require a phone number to be in ASCII
(1234-5678) instead of unicode (1234ー5678).  The web site will still
enforces this by providing server side validation, but as a convenience, it
may use ime-mode: disabled to avoid a server round trip.

You could argue that the web site is broken because it should be able to
normalize this on the server, but that doesn't change the fact that there
are lots of web sites in Japan that already try to do this.  Implementing
ime-mode would improve the user experience on these sites.

tony