[webkit-dev] Faster Git SVN updates

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Thu Nov 18 15:32:21 PST 2010

There is this section of the WebKit Git wiki (
http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/UsingGitWithWebKit):

If you don't fetch new revisions from Subversion very often and find
fetching them one by one too slow, you can modify the svn section in your
.git/config file to point directly to the *refs/remotes/origin/master* rather
then*refs/remotes/trunk* which is how it is set up by default. In this case
'git svn fetch' will be way faster if done after "git fetch" or "git pull",
since it'll realize it already has all the revisions locally. Edit your svn
entry to look like this:

[svn-remote "svn"]
        url = http://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit
        fetch = trunk:refs/remotes/origin/master

and then re-build the svn index by doing 'git svn fetch' once.

It's some magical setup by which your git svn fetchs will be much faser.
 But I've heard it's buggy?  Can lead to local repository corruption?

Can someone set me straight?

The current git svn fetch is *super* slow.  Especially if you're behind by
more than a day or two.

If there was a way to make this faster method safe, by wrapping it in some
other (error-checking) command which knew how to fall back to git svn
rebase, etc. when necessary I would love to make it the default method for
all WebKit get users.

Thoughts?

-eric