[webkit-dev] Hunspell based spellchecker

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 12:27:02 PST 2010

>> On Wednesday 17 November 2010 04:52:36 Hajime Morita wrote:
>>> Hi WebKit folks,
>>>
>>> I'm thinking about porting Hunspell-based spellchecking code
>>> from Chromium to WebKit/WebCore.

At least in the Windows implementation (WebKit/WebKit source base),
the spell checker is implemented on the client side as a delegate
operation.

I wrote up a few notes on the topic
(http://whtconstruct.blogspot.com/2010/07/spelling.html).

What would be the advantage in placing the spell checker in WebCore,
as opposed to the relatively agnostic approach used via the WebKit
API?  Is there a performance benefit, or a means of hooking into some
other part of the system not currently served by the existing spelling
infrastructure?

-Brent