[webkit-dev] deleteOwnedPtr(T* ptr)

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Nov 10 16:04:04 PST 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Daebarkee Jung wrote:

> I found that the following lines made errors:
> // OwnPtrCommon.h
> template <typename T> inline void deleteOwnedPtr(T* ptr)
> {
>         typedef char known[sizeof(T) ? 1 : -1];
>         if (sizeof(known))
> 	    delete ptr;
> }
>
> I am very curious about why the author wrote like the above.
> What could be the author's intention?

The code is to prevent issues like the ones described on these websites:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1767679/incomplete-type-memory-leaks
http://bytes.com/topic/c/answers/611877-gcc-class-forward-declarations-destructor-calls
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/231177/delete-of-pointer-to-incomplete-class

If we delete a pointer and the object has incomplete type, we get undefined behavior. Instead this code causes compilation to fail if the object has incomplete type. The use of a negative number for the size of an array is a way to guarantee we get a compilation error.

Your alternate version might also work; I’m not sure.

    -- Darin