[webkit-dev] XPath Issues?

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Tue Nov 9 12:00:41 PST 2010

This conversation is heading in a dangerous direction... :)

Allowing QXML parser support to be added to WebKit was probably a
mistake.  Adding custom QXPath or QXSLT support would be another.

WebKit is one platform.  If XSLT or XPath 2.0 is good for the web, we
should add them to all ports, just like we did XPath 1.x.  The only
reason XMLDocumentParserQt hasn't been a bigger compatibility problem
(or source of crashes, security bugs, etc.) for the Qt Port is that
XML is used so very very very little on the web (and it's relatively
simple to parse).  (The XMLDocumentParserQt was a huge headache for
Adam and I when trying to re-factor DocumentParser for HTML5, for
example.  I'm sure we introduced still-present bugs in it.)

Please excuse me if I mis-understood your suggestions of "integrating"
these Qt features with WebKit.

-eric