[webkit-dev] HTML5 & Web Links (RFC 5988)

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Tue Nov 9 10:01:05 PST 2010

09.11.2010, в 9:20, Maciej Stachowiak написал(а):

> It might be worth testing which other browsers support it. I know at least Firefox supports associating a stylesheet with Link. It does seem like a fairly ill-conceived feature, but not so much that it is worth being the sole holdout, if other browser engines all do it.

Agreed. I don't know whether IE supports it, but given that this hasn't been a source of compatibility bugs, I suspect that it doesn't.

> And there are some plausible use cases - same document served with multiple stylesheets, without having to modify the document on the fly, just the headers.

Yes, and that seems to be a (potential?) source of trouble for everyone, not just browser vendors. Surely one doesn't want to fight with a misconfigured hosting that forces a CSS stylesheet on their pages, or to discover that their own server was doing that, after spending an eternity analyzing their HTML source for mistakes.

Moving or copying essential information about a document into HTTP headers is frustrating for charset declarations, why do that for anything else? With charsets, there is at least the explanation that many text formats don't have a place to declare it internally.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov