[webkit-dev] Building WebKit on windows for the first time

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Wed May 26 09:35:53 PDT 2010

Ojan,

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Ojan Vafai <ojan at chromium.org> wrote:

> Frederic, I think the problem you're hitting is a known issue with the
> Windows release build. Building debug should work (i.e. build-webkit
> --debug).

I already responded to Frederic on webkit-help, but basically the answer is:

"You are most likely building in a 32-bit environment.  The work
arounds for this problem are as follows (choose one of the following):

1.  Build in 64-bit Vista or Windows 7.
2.  I have heard that KB949009
(https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=18623)
may correct the problem.
3.  Or, you can turn off Whole Program Optimization on the WebCore
project (see "Configuration Properties|C/C++|Optimization"), and turn
off Link Time Code Generation on the WebKit project (see
"Configuration Properties|Linker|Optimization").

The last option will definitely work (I do this for my test box, which
is only 32 bits), though the best long-term choice is to run a 64-bit
OS."

-Brent