[webkit-dev] Table hit testing

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Thu May 20 11:56:35 PDT 2010

You can't binary search if there are overflowing cells in any section.  You have to go in order (from last to first) in that case, since you may hit test something.

In general you won't find binary searches, etc. in most hit testing code because of overflow concerns.

http://www.zazzle.com/css_is_awesome_mug-168716435071981928

I strongly recommend not writing code that deviates from what the paint methods do.  In general the nodeAtPoint version of a function should be just like the paint version of a function, just from last to first rather than first to last.

Any time hit testing and painting deviate, you have a problem, since the painting stack order and the hit testing stack order obviously need to agree.

Basically I'd expect a first patch to synchronize the two methods (paint and nodeAtPoint), and then if you want to optimize further, I'd expect to see optimizations to both painting and hit testing made together.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)