[webkit-dev] What is the webkit-patch version of svn-unapply?

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Wed May 19 11:15:58 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> On May 19, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Adam Barth wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
>>> Lets say I just did "webkit-patch upload" and I am Subversion user and I now want the patch out of my tree. Does webkit-patch have a command to help me do it? I can’t just use "svn revert" because that doesn’t handle things like added, removed, and moved files.
>>
>> I've had a similar problem when using SVN.  On git, I use the command "git reset --hard".  Currently, you can use the following command:
>>
>> webkit-patch update --force-clean
>>
>> That runs both the "update" and the "clean" steps:
>>
>> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebKitTools/Scripts/webkitpy/tool/commands/download.py#L46
>>
>> We could expose a command that runs just the clean step:
>>
>> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebKitTools/Scripts/webkitpy/tool/steps/cleanworkingdirectory.py
>
> These aren’t great replacements for svn-unapply for me.
>
> All I want to do is remove a particular patch from my tree; updating and reverting everything is both slower and may have unwanted side effects, such as removing changes I made after uploading the patch.
>
> I can see how someone would no longer need svn-unapply once they had switched to git.

Personally, I don't have multiple patches in my tree at the same time,
so I don't understand what would be the most convenient for you.
Removing the update step is easy, but I'm not sure how you would like
to specify the changes to remove from the tree.

We could add an "unapply-from-attachment" command, but that would
involve fetching the patch from bugs.webkit.org again...  Another
option is that the upload command could store a copy of the patch
locally that you could then use with svn-apply and svn-unapply
directly.

Adam