[webkit-dev] Pixel test differences between Leopard and Snow Leopard

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Tue May 18 08:27:35 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser at apple.com>wrote:

> On May 17, 2010, at 3:44 PM, James Robinson wrote:
>
> After this is done it should be possible to run the full layout test suite
> with --tolerance=0 on Snow Leopard and have no failures.  Assuming this
> happens, I would like to switch the default value of --tolerance from 0.1 to
> 0.0 to try to keep regressions from creeping back in.
>
> You may find that some of the text antialiasing differences are
> hardware-dependent, so I'm not sure if a tolerance of 0 would be possible.

I'd really like to see us default to a tolerance of 0 for at least one mac
platform. Snow Leopard makes sense to be that platform. If we find that
there are antialiasing differences that are hardware-dependent, then we
should consider the hardware on the bots the default and, if
possible, dynamically detect different hardware to set a higher tolerance.

> Does this sound like a good plan?  The biggest impact on the project will
> be a number of large commits in LayoutTests/platform/ to do the svn move and
> svn add operations to move results from platform/mac -> platform/mac-leopard
> and to add new Snow Leopard results to platform/mac.  This can be done over
> a weekend and mostly by a script to try to minimize impact.
>
> This sounds like a great short-term plan. I think a longer-term plan would
> be to move as many tests to ref-tests as possible, which eliminates any
> text-aliasing issues.

I fully support this plan.

Ojan