[webkit-dev] Yet another bug-less change hosed the tree.

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Tue May 11 14:28:31 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:

> > Yes, this way of doing things has more overhead for you personally but
> > saves overhead for everyone else in the project.
>
> I don't think it's fair to frame my perspective as "me personally" and your
> perspective as "everyone else in the project."

I don't think that's a valid interpretation of the above sentence.  It seems
to simply be saying "there is a cost to the patch creator of running the
patch past the bots, and there is a cost to the developer community at large
if the tree is broken", which is undeniably true.

If you'll permit me to editorialize, my guess is that some Google employees
> prefer a rigid green tree policy because it matches their internal
> development process, and it makes integrating with that process and
> committing patches for other Google employees easier.

As a Google employee I am puzzled as to how a green tree policy "makes
integrating with the process and committing patches for other Google
employees easier".  You seem to be suggesting that familiarity/similarity to
another policy is some sort of benefit.  I can't see how that's true, nor
have I ever heard a Google employee suggest such.  For the people who would
prefer a green tree policy, I suspect the rationale is that they believe it
lowers overall development costs, irrespective of what other policies on
other projects may be, which clearly you do not agree with.

PK