[webkit-dev] webkit-patch vs manual steps [was Re: Yet another bug-less change hosed the tree.]

David Levin levin at google.com
Tue May 11 10:06:53 PDT 2010

   -

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> 11.05.2010, в 0:56, Maciej Stachowiak написал(а):
>

>  I do think making it capable of handling subdirectories would be an
>> improvement for SVN users. Also, I suspect it doesn't work as well as it
>> could for people who prefer to edit ChangeLogs in a non-command-line editor,
>> and for people who are very much in the habit of running prepare-ChangeLog
>> before they even think about uploading a patch. Even with those limitations,
>> I personally find it very useful, and I am a grumpy curmudgeon about tools.
>>

> FWIW, I'm unwilling to use a command line tool to deal with Bugzilla, no
> matter how refined. I don't work on a browser engine to run away from the
> experience it provides.

It would be interesting to know if I'm alone in feeling this way.

> I'm not sure why it matters, but I'll participate anyway :)

I like being able to do either.
"By Hand"

   - Quite often, I do things by hand because I feel more in control of the
   process and what gets put up.
   - Also, I like the stability of my revision control system and
   prepare-ChangeLog (neither of which is changed very often or much) -- unlike
   webkit-patch which changes frequently. ( I'm jaded due to my experiences in
   chromium where the infrastructure tools must be used and also have
   needed debugging them before I could use them more than once.)

"command line tool"

   - I've found it handy at times. (At the same time, submitting the patch
   itself is usually the least amount of work -- currently, it feels like
   getting a good object model proposal is the hardest part :) ).