[webkit-dev] Yet another bug-less change hosed the tree.

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Mon May 10 19:50:48 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Brent Fulgham <bfulgham at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> True, if what you're really asking for is not just a bug report but also a "cooling off period" during which
>>> you wait for a result from the EWS bot, even if you get a review right away. You get greater value in the
>>> case of a bad patch, but also greater cost in the case of every patch.
>>
>> Yes, this way of doing things has more overhead for you personally but
>> saves overhead for everyone else in the project.  The question, as I
>> see it, is which of these quantities is larger.  The more people that
>> work on the project, the bigger the multiplier on the right.
>
> I'm not sure this is totally correct.  I'm sure more people than
> ggaren find the TPS cover sheet / cooling off period to be an added
> cost.  These added costs apply to *all* developers, whether they land
> bad patches or not.

For fun, I scrolled back through WebCore/ChangeLog looking for a
non-build fix that was missing a bug link.  The first one I found was
160 revs ago.  I suspect the vast majority of patches already have bug
reports.

> You seem to be advocating a system that imposes a (perhaps small) cost
> on every development 'transaction' as insurance against the (possibly
> high) cost of a build breakage.  I'm not sure the cost/benefit is
> clear here.

We require a ChangeLog for every patch.  Isn't that a TPS report?

Another perspective is that we have lots of tools to help you not
break the build.  If you bypass those tools and break the build,
you're going to piss people off.

Please be kind, rewind.  (Well, or switch to watching movies on DVD.)

Adam