[webkit-dev] Help with review of EFL CMake patches?

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Fri May 7 06:01:13 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Patrick Roland Gansterer
<paroga at paroga.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> The idea of a Options${PORT} file is to put only the port-specific
>> checks and defaults there.
> When we now have a CMake buildsystem we can get rid of "port-thinking". We
> can switch to "has-feature-thinking".
> You should check for different features instead of doing sth for a spezial
> port.
> E.g. ICU is used in more than one port: If you check for ICU you only need
> to define the ICU stuff once and the different ports can use it.
> An other example is the win32 an wince port, where many files are shared:
> You would create a port-file for win32 and wince then a general windows
> port-file?.
> Only one port file isn't applicable everywhere.

Hi Patrick,

Of course, but the problem is that ports diverge radically in features
they support, and even the same port diverges when it goes to
different platforms. Last but not least, a single port on a single
platform may toggle features and dependencies, this is what happens
with Gtk port: you can compile with or without ICU, you can choose to
disable html5 video, then gstreamer requirement is gone.

The ${PORT} file is there to solve this, as Leandro explained. If
later on we detect some parts are shared, then we can just create a
third file that is included by these.  Much like we already do with
code in WebKit.

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri