[webkit-dev] file names with spaces

Chris Jerdonek cjerdonek at webkit.org
Mon Mar 22 22:42:41 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Adele Peterson <adele at apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Chris Jerdonek wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there are any reasons we would ever need files in
>> our repository whose file names contain spaces.  The reason is that it
>> makes shell commands slightly trickier to write (e.g. using the bash
>> shell).
>>
>> I found that we currently have these files whose file names have spaces:
>>
>>> find . -wholename '* *' \! \( -wholename '*.svn*' -or -wholename "*/WebKitBuild/*" \)
>>
>> ./LayoutTests/fast/encoding/resources/%25%u0435 0 %xx%%%ulike.html
>> ./LayoutTests/http/tests/misc/resources/a success.html
>> ./PageLoadTests/svg/files/42450-under the see.svg
>> ./PageLoadTests/svg/files/44057-drops on a blade.svg
>> ./WebCore/manual-tests/inspector/errors-with-space in-url.html
>
>        This one seems intentional.

Yes.  I think it's to be expected that rules will occasionally need to
be violated -- especially for testing purposes (e.g. tabs and trailing
spaces in test files).

Another possibility is landing third-party code as-is.

I guess I'm asking if it would be okay to establish a rule for cases
we control and that do not have a special need.

--Chris