[webkit-dev] Why I'm reviewing patches outside my area (and why you should too)

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Mar 10 12:40:27 PST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Zoltan Herczeg <zherczeg at inf.u-szeged.hu>wrote:

> > It's also a big help when peers (which aren't necessarily WebKit
> > reviewers)
> > look over it and give review-style feedback as well.  Especially when
> said
> > peers know more about that code than any of the official reviewers.
>
> Is that really help? Sometimes when a patch looks good to me, it still
> rots in the bugzilla for weeks. On the other hand, sometimes I have
> concerns about the patch, and somebody just pop in and give an r+ without
> any comments.

It helps the patch submitter, and it helps reviewers who read comments.
 Sadly, if a reviewer doesn't read anything on the bug, there's not much we
can do.

One idea, I guess, would be to say it's OK for non-reviewers to r- a patch
(for legit reasons), but only reviewers can r+ a patch.  I'd be fine with
this but I suspect it'd rub some people the wrong way.

PK