[webkit-dev] Unofficial reviews (WAS: Why I'm reviewing patches outside my area (and why you should too))

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Wed Mar 10 04:06:16 PST 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Zoltan Herczeg <zherczeg at inf.u-szeged.hu>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > It's also a big help when peers (which aren't necessarily WebKit
> > reviewers)
> > look over it and give review-style feedback as well.  Especially when
> said
> > peers know more about that code than any of the official reviewers.
>
> Is that really help? Sometimes when a patch looks good to me, it still
> rots in the bugzilla for weeks. On the other hand, sometimes I have
> concerns about the patch, and somebody just pop in and give an r+ without
> any comments.

It depends on a lot of things.  It depends on the webkit reviewer.  It
depends on the unofficial reviewer (are they an expert in the subject, for
example).

I can give you a success story though: michaeln is probably the most
qualified reviewer of WebSQLDatabase code these days.  He looks at most
patches that go by, and I think on average he offers more and better
comments than the official reviewers.  The few WebSQLDatabase patches I have
reviewed, I asked for Michael's sign off before r+ing.

Are there any specific examples of where you've seen that happen?  It might
be easier to talk about specific instances.