[webkit-dev] Why I'm reviewing patches outside my area (and why you should too)

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Tue Mar 9 13:17:49 PST 2010

On Mar 9, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

>  (1) The patch needs to be reviewed by David Hyatt.   David Hyatt
> appears to be a bottleneck in the project because he's an expert on a
> number of components that no one else understands as well but he
> doesn't spend as much time reviewing patches as Maciej or Darin.  I
> think the best solution here is to have more folks gain expertise in
> these areas.

"Dave needs to review this" is used as an excuse by others to get out of doing reviews in my opinion. :)

MathML is a great example of this.  I don't need to be the sole person reviewing MathML patches that don't affect core code.  If the MathML rendering code lands in the tree with some mistakes or issues that can be fixed later, it's really not a big deal.  Maybe I would have noticed something that another reviewer wouldn't have, but the mistakes will get caught eventually.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)