[webkit-dev] CookieJar needs client interface?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 08:21:30 PST 2010

> From: abarth at webkit.org
> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 06:54:32 -0800
> To: superstippi at gmx.de
> CC: webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org
> Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] CookieJar needs client interface?
>
> Implementing cookies is surprisingly subtle, mostly because the
> protocol is quite brittle. If you're implementing your own cookie
> store, a decent starting point might be to look at:
>
> http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/net/base/cookie_monster.cc?view=markup
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpstate-cookie
>
> Note that the licensing of cookie_monster is a bit complicated because
> it's based on Mozilla's implementation and so carries Mozilla's usual
> tri-license. The spec is a work in progress, but fairly complete at
> this time.

I wrote one from scratch but tried to document sources of wisdom
such as any standards used or "this is what wget/curl left in their
cookie files" or "this dosn't work on foo" etc. I'm glad someone
else thinks this is "subtle." The ietf doc you cite is only  a few
months old and claims to obsolete rfc2109 but that
claims to be obsoleted by http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2965 which I apparently used
as a guide.  ) . Is there a list of  "Standard Bugs" (probably
IE LOL) that are often emulated?  Just looking at comments in your code link,
some of those browser issues sound familiar - we were getting
sites sending the same oookie header 50 times and putting
in spaces or other things in odd places.

( Also, I thought I was clever for calling it a cookie monster too LOL).

In our case, with a limited resource target platform ( phones)
we should have devoted more attention to management- not just
deleting old stuff but generally setting some limits and having a removal
policy.

I guess another thing I've seen come up is general issues with data structs
for headers. Hashtables seem to be popular now and don't support
duplicate headers, such as multiple cookie's, so you need to concatenate
all the dups. I think originally our cookie handler had a problem
with this as it expected each cookie in a sep header but probably it was because I hadn't originally coded
it rater than inherent problems with spec or implementation by servers( spending hours hitting my own code stub is really annoying LOL).

I also seem to recall there may have been  an issue with cookies set from non-200 responses
but again I think that was just a code bug, not a subtly.