[webkit-dev] CookieJar needs client interface?

Stephan Assmus superstippi at gmx.de
Tue Mar 9 01:19:30 PST 2010

Hi all,

I am currently implementing the cookie jar backend for the Haiku port and
browser. Looking at the other implementations, most of them do it in their
network platform code, many are still incomplete. Isn't handling of cookies
something browser specific? Looking at the Qt port, it seems like a drastic
layering violation, using classes from WebKit in WebCore. So I was
wondering if this shouldn't be implemented in a similar pattern to other
"client" interfaces. With a CookieJarClient which has to be implemented in
WebKit support code, thus allowing a WebKit client specific change of
behavior with a clean separation of layers. Is this a good line of thought
and is there any interest in something like this?

I have set up build environments for the GTK port, Haiku of course and I
could also get the Qt port compiling. So that I could try to provide
implementations for at least these platforms. Another approach could be to
provide the implementation for Haiku only, so that other ports could adopt
this scheme if and when they want. Assuming of course that this change is
at all desirable.

Best regards,
-Stephan