[webkit-dev] minimum python version to support

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Thu Mar 4 20:10:56 PST 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 6:09 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> 04.03.2010, в 17:35, William Siegrist написал(а):
>
>> Since I have a Tiger machine handy, I tested this and was able to build python 2.5.5 from MacPorts on a PowerPC. It takes a while, but it worked. I did not try python 2.6.
>

> Did it bring many dependencies with it? I've heard enough horror stories like "getting GitX from MacPorts installed a broken version of rsync for me" to keep development machines clean of it.

It brings in a lot of dependencies, but you can choose to not use them. As an added data point, Mac OS Forge (and thus most of webkit.org) uses MacPorts-installed software. It works for me.

WebKit could also provide their own custom portfile that prevents all of those dependencies from coming in, or just use MacPorts once to produce an installer package.

-Bill