[webkit-dev] minimum python version to support

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Thu Mar 4 12:50:35 PST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2010, at 12:17 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:
>
>> I think we should ignore Tiger for the purposes of this discussion.
>
> We (Apple) still need to do development on Tiger. We would strongly prefer
> that WebKit's tools work on Tiger.

I certainly don't wish to make your job any harder (than I'm sure it
already is).

But as Jeremy noted: one of the Python scripts are yet
infrastructure-critical (like build-webkit), nor do I see them
becoming so sooner than months away.  I think it would make sense to
re-visit the "should we support Tiger" argument if we ever think about
replacing things like build-webkit with something that doesn't work on
Tiger. (I can't imagine Apple will need to be supporting Tiger for
much longer anyway.)

Holding future-looking project tools hostage by a
likely-soon-to-be-deprecated [1] legacy OS, seems counter-productive.
So I still think we should ignore it for the purposes of this
particular discussion.

-eric

1.  Looking historically, Apple has dropped OS support for all but the
current and last OS with new software releases.  Given that Safari 4
announced June 2008 (21 months ago), I can't imagine we won't see a
Safari 5 (dropping Tiger support) "soon".  But I don't work at Apple,
and such is just wild speculation on my part.