[webkit-dev] Increasing the number of cross-platform/port expected results

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Mon Mar 1 17:49:38 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> > But in practice pixel results are often ignored entirely. I think that
> reftest-style tests if done right could be a great addition.
>
> Also, there are zillions of render-tree-dump tests which could easily
> be converted to plain-text tests.  No one has yet written a tool to
> visualize how many tests we have with platform-specific results, but I
> would expect many of those platform-specific results could be removed
> by converting more existing tests to dump as text.

The vast majority of plain-text tests don't end up needing platform-specific
results. Also, they run faster.

In the past there was some resistance to converting older tests to
dumpAsText out of fear of losing test coverage. Could we instead try to make
it so that the default is dumpAsText? That would go a long way in making new
tests be dumpAsText. The difficulty there, of course, is actually doing it
since there are so many tests that would need to be modified (i.e. current
render dump tests would need something like a dumpRenderTree() call).

Implementation difficulties aside, does that sound like a good idea?

Ojan