[webkit-dev] Tightening up smart pointer usage rules

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Jun 29 10:40:00 PDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 7:08 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> - Yes, we should get rid of auto_ptr.
> - I can imagine a leakPtr function being more self-documenting than adoptPtr(...).releasePtr() when it appears in code, but on the other hand the greater convenience may lead to using it carelessly. On the third hand, it will definitely stand out if it appears in a patch.

The main benefit of adoptPtr(...).releasePtr() is that the adoptPtr can stay with the new when refactoring, and the releasePtr can stay with the intentional leak.

Any call site using releasePtr needs to be examined carefully to see it does not leak. That’s different from functions like release that do not pose that sort of risk, but similar to releaseRef, which does.

If we think the word "leak" is key to clarity here, renaming releasePtr to leakPtr would be one option. I don’t think we want a single function combining the adoptPtr and releasePtr behavior.

    -- Darin