[webkit-dev] strategy for evaluating performance issues related to memory.

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 03:37:35 PDT 2010

> CC: webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org
> From: ddkilzer at webkit.org
> Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] strategy for evaluating performance issues related to memory.
> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:44:53 -0700
> To: marchywka at hotmail.com
>
> On Jun 21, 2010, at 6:21 AM, Mike Marchywka  wrote:
>
>> (and yes my disk light still comes on for minutes at a time locking me out of doing antyhing with iceweasel or firefox)
>
> Two things:
>
> 1. What hardware platform and O/S are you running a WebKit browser on that still uses a disk light? (Do PC cases still have disk lights? I guess I haven't looked recently.)

I've got a 500Mb laptop with firefox on XP and a 1Gb system running debian with iceweasel.

> 2. Why do you keep mentioning Iceweasel and Firefox? Those browsers are based on Mozilla's Gecko engine, not WebKit.

Those are what I'm using where I see a problem but it seems just about any apps these days have similar issues.
I have no idea how the codes or architectures compare but normally ideas seem to diffuse, code and algorithms get
copied, and common problems recur. I wanted to use webkit for some specific things, hope to contribute, and many have mentioned memory issues here too. This is just something I'd like to avoid unless it is already a known non-problem.

I guess I could go get Chrome and try it out.