[webkit-dev] WebCore Build Times

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Tue Jun 8 15:21:59 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:

> Has anyone spent any time trying to reduce the number of includes in
> WebCore?  I know we have:
>
> https://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebKitTools/Scripts/find-extra-includes
>
> But I feel like we still have way too many unnecessary includes.  I
> failed to find any tools for reducing build times or includes with my
> brief Google searching.  But perhaps others have looked into this
> problem for WebKit or other projects?

I know someone once suggested that the build would be sped up if the
#includes had longer paths (something like what happens in the Chromium
tree) so that the toolchain didn't have to spend as much time scanning the
(large) number of different directories on the #include path list.  However,
I don't know how true this is, and plus, converting all the files to use
this method would be a huge change (presumably done via a script).  I
imagine removing unnecessary #includes, as you suggest above, would provide
a much bigger benefit.

PK