[webkit-dev] Proposal: Rect based HitTest for a better touch experience

Antti Koivisto koivisto at iki.fi
Sun Jun 6 12:40:50 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:22 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> I really don't think hit testing needs to be modified to get what you want.  You can do a scattershot sampling using multiple candidate points within the rect and apply whatever heuristics you want to choose a node.  I'm also not convinced that we should be complicating core hit testing code in this way, since I suspect this is one of those areas where mobile platforms will each want to do their own slightly different thing anyway.

The problem with hit testing by multisampling is that it is
ridiculously slow. You need to take at least a dozen samples for
decent results. With a complex document on a mobile platform doing
those can take several hundreds of milliseconds. That is pretty far
from what is needed for good responsiveness. I think area hit testing
would make a lot of sense.

With WebKit2 it might actually be a good idea to track all event
sensitive areas in the document. This way at least partial (no
hit/maybe hit) testing could be done entirely in the UI process side.

  antti