[webkit-dev] On adding 'console.memory' API (and about the whole 'console' object.)

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Fri Jun 4 12:33:14 PDT 2010

To get more specific, the style allocated for visited state is freed when you're an unvisited link to save memory (lots of memory), but it is not freed if you're visited.  So there's a definite memory consumption difference.  This memory difference would be magnified and obvious if you made 10000 visited links vs. 10000 unvisited links.

We would have to deliberately consume megabytes more of memory just to prevent this attack if we keep this object in, and I just made the above fix to prevent a more than 4mb memory regression.

Therefore I do not think memory use information is safe to expose, and this feature is not something we should be adding.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)