[webkit-dev] Proposal: Rect based HitTest for a better touch experience

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Wed Jun 2 13:41:20 PDT 2010

On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:22 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

>> Before going this way, I would like to know of any known problem or
>> show stoppers.
>
> I really don't think hit testing needs to be modified to get what you want.  You can do a scattershot sampling using multiple candidate points within the rect and apply whatever heuristics you want to choose a node.  I'm also not convinced that we should be complicating core hit testing code in this way, since I suspect this is one of those areas where mobile platforms will each want to do their own slightly different thing anyway.

This sounded a bit more negative than I intended.  I don't mind hit testing being modified in this way as long as we think we can make it truly cross-platform (such that everyone who wants similar functionality can use the code), and it would be very important to not regress the single point case.  If those conditions can be met, then I would be satisfied.

dave