[webkit-dev] Style question: static, protected, or public members

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Jun 2 10:02:32 PDT 2010

On Jun 1, 2010, at 10:09 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:

> Let me summarize to see if I understand what should be updated in the style guide/check-webkit-style:
>
> Class static member variables should have an s_ prefix.
> Protected and public member variables should be disallowed.
> Private member variables should have an m_ prefix.
> Struct member variables should have no prefix.

Yes, I think that’s what we discussed. While I don’t love the “s_” prefix, I didn’t love the “m_” one either, and I got used to it.

> What about global statics?  Currently I believe most have no prefix. Some have "k" or "g".

We didn’t discuss global variables outside of a class. If we decided to start using a prefix, I’d suggest “g_” but I don’t think we need one. What do other people think?

    -- Darin